To be considered for admission into the Elementary Education & Special Education Mild/Moderate Grades 1-5 program, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- General admission requirements of the Graduate School.
- Passing scores on the Praxis I Core Academic Skills for Educators in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics or a composite ACT score of 22 or a combined Verbal and Math SAT score of 1030.
- Passing score on the Praxis II Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001) exam or passing scores on the Reading and Language Arts Subtest (5002), Mathematics Subtest (5003), Social Studies Subtest (5004), and the Science Subtest (5005).
Provide three letters of recommendation, as determined by your current employment:
- Candidates for admission who are currently working as teachers must have letters of recommendation from an appropriate school official who has direct professional knowledge of the candidate's skills and potential.
- Candidates for admission who are not currently working as teachers must have letters of recommendation from a non-relative, who has direct knowledge of the candidate's potential for success as a graduate level student and a working professional. Employers and previous university/college faculty are examples of appropriate sources.
- Additional recommendations may be requested to support candidacy if determined necessary by program admission committee.
- Statement of purpose.
All prospective graduate students should contact the graduate school to apply for the program in Elementary Education & Special Education Mild/Moderate Grades 1-5. Learn more about Application Information.
In addition to the admission requirements, all students must successfully complete the following requirements to graduate in the Elementary Education & Special Education Mild/Moderate Grades 1-5 program:
- Satisfactory completion of all required course work within the timelines and at the grade levels established by Graduate School policies.
- Submit passing scores for the Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications (5543) and the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades K–6 (5622).
- Satisfactory completion of the MAT Special Education Portfolio.