The Department of Educational Curriculum and Instruction and the UL Lafayette College of Education work closely with area schools, parents, and children to enhance learning experiences. We work to make sure children receive the highest quality education by applying proven and specialized methods of teaching.
Professional Development Schools
Professional Development Schools (PDS) are innovative institutions formed through partnerships between professional education programs and PreK-12 schools. The mission involves preparation of candidates, faculty development, inquiry directed at the improvement of practice and enhanced student learning. Current professional development schools include:
- Anderson Middle School and Johnston Hopkins Elementary School in Iberia Parish
- Acadian Middle School, J. W. Faulk Elementary School, and Northside High School in Lafayette Parish
- Cankton Elementary School, East Elementary School, and Sunset Elementary School in St. Landry Parish
- Raintree Elementary School in St. Mary Parish
- Cecil Picard Elementary School in Vermilion Parish
Center for Gifted Education Programs for Children
The Center for Gifted Education is an instructional, research, and service center. It is one of only about 20 such comprehensive centers focusing on the needs of high ability/gifted learners in the nation and the only one of its scope in the state of Louisiana.
Center for Innovative Learning and Assessment Technologies (CILAT)
CILAT offers various hands-on programs for children in grades 1-8. Programs include: Mindstorms Robotics, WeDo Robotics, and Biomimicry: Learning from Nature.